-->

Monday, 13 July 2015

Day 5: 'Rush' to Plymouth

I was going to make Plymouth today as my ferry ticket was booked and paid for. This meant I could start my french journey one day earlier than anticipated, one less night in England but also meant I had to supplement my cycling with a cheeky train ride. I've never stated the sanctimony of the cycle as the soul method of travel but it feels like cheating. I soon got over that.

Left Granny's cycling away fully loaded and with a full compliment of clean clothes. By the time in writing this I would say that number has dropped.

Shorts smell a bit yeasty. Anyway she waved from the door like the queen from her carriage l, sending me off. I had 2 boiled eggs in my pocket. Someone (L.Radford) once claimed of a boiled egg, that I could put it in a pocket. I had taken that advice. Hopefully you'll remember that if you're reading Lucy. I promptly forgot about them.

Quietish country roads peppered with a couple of dedicated cycle routes. I had to stop a couple of times to readjust the mud guards as the rubbed on the tyres and annoyed me greatly. Also the chain guard developed a rattle. And the bike was so smooth and quiet when I first got it. I'm going to name it Wheelfred II, successor to the original who saw me around Austria.

I leaned on a wall to rest and check directions. The crack reminded me of my cargo, and thus the first egg broke.



The directions seemed quite straightforward today although I did manage an unexpected detour somehow turning west. Google maps helped again and though the GPS and data were battery heavy the bike charger countered and it rarely dropped. I was worried when it got below 90%. It seems to drain quickly but charge quickly too. Maybe the capacity has dropped.




After Exeter the roads turned into the picture above. Which is way more my scene and I sat and had lunch next to the river keeping my headphones in to drown out the road noise that was ruining the illusion of tranquility. The path continued passing over the railway via special bike ramp steps and adjacent to a park full of deer. I don't have a picture of the deer as my phone is held on Wheelfred's back via a large Velcro patch and that ripping sound must be similar to a leopard's roar or something. Scattering all the deer. Hmph.



Soon I was in Dawlish where I'd get the train from. I almost had a beach shower before reading the ferry had communal ones and I didn't want to infuse another set of clothes with eau de David if I didn't have to. Oh and I passed this and had to go back, hahaha XD .



Moving on. I got the train at Dawlish warren to Newton Abbott. There wasn't a ticket machine and no one asked so I got that leg of the journey gratis. Then on to Plymouth in a one carriage 'train' that I had to force my bike into as the pannier bags were wider than the door.



Got to Plymouth around five with four hours before I had to check in. I tried going to the library to update this blog but it cost to use the computers so I took the WiFi password like I was doing the information guy a favour and left. I felt tiny drops of rain but it never amounted to anything. I also made friends with a swan.



Helly called me suggesting I go to the quay side but the place I found definitely wasn't the attractive place she described. I sat in front of a rusty warehouse on a large rock while we chatted on the phone. I also ate the second egg which was smashed as well. One man looked at me as if to say 'that hat is stupid'. I nodded and smiled as of to say 'screw you'.

Just had a cider, which the barman let me sample like a wine before committing, and a bean-burger, as I wait for the boarding. Listening to swing music about girls marrying sailors. I've got a choice table where I can see my bike locked outside.

I'm looking forward to my ferry sleep.


3 comments :

  1. That is not a swan!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good luck on your travels David. We're all thinking of you still... there's just a sense of something nice being around the quick sales desk now, and a slightly musty smell.

    I hope you have that grand adventure you are looking for, perhaps steal something in france and have the police chase you accross a border. That would add a bit of drama, although the boiled egg did seem to get Mary quite excited.

    ReplyDelete