-->

Sunday, 12 July 2015

Day 4: My Weekend in Wellington part 2



The night before I put my first email out to a host on the cycle touring hospitality site: 'warm showers'. By this morning I had a positive reply, so Tuesday night I'll be camping in Christophe's garden in France, somewhere. I think he's the first point of call for a few people as he's right on the track about a days ride away and has had many good reviews.

I also booked my overnight ferry for Monday night so I've got two nights accommodation accounted for, nice! The ferry forums say sleep in the child's play area as it's full of soft things. That is of you're like me and cheaped out on an actual cabin.

Anyway we were soon on the car and on the way to cheddar gorge! The Somerset tourist attraction featuring caves and cheese. This was Helen, me, Helen's sister Katie and her husband Ben.


Note the caveman has included the penis

The cheddar man


The first and biggest cave had some good features that we were told about by the Cornish accented voice actor playing the man who discovered the cave in the 17th century. I think. If I've got my facts wrong it's because someone had brought a dog into the cave while I was listening to the audio tour, and I went to pat its head.

The second cave was a lot smaller but had a light show, and someone shrouded in mist to jump out at you. Seeing his feet, I sent Helly in first and she recoiled in fright. Ha ha ha ha.

Then it was a long stair climb to the top of the gorge itself. And we gorged our eyes on the gorgeous view, before rain galloped across the landscape and trampled all over our picnic. Also we saw a goat.

As descended to the road we realised we had to cross and walk up another path, leading to another torrent of steps and then down a slippery assault course of wet clay and branches. Quite fun but only because nobody fell completey. Katie wouldn't have let them back in the car if they had, she was annoyed enough that we were wet.











They were heading back home and I was heading back to Granny's so instead of adding 40 mins to their journey to drop me back, they added 4 hours and £12 to mine. I'm not bitter. 
Also I bought a hat, are you happy now Dad?

I was dropped off at Frome station and had an hour to wait for the first train. I said some emotional goodbyes to Helly and watched them abandon me. Back to Taunton via Bristol temple meads and I caught up on my kindle reading. I had planned to get a taxi back to Wellington as the buses had stopped but the guy with hugely unkempt eyebrows quoted £30 so I told him I'd just walk, in defiance at his stupid prices. I ended up running on and of for 6 miles, which my knees didn't like and my stomach agreed with them. Still £30 better off and a few more calories down.

Washed my clothes in the sink and hopefully they'll dry overnight. I'll wear whatever is wettest tomorrow as it'll dry on me faster.

Thanks to Granny for putting me up again.

As I write this I'm going into my last sleep in an actual bed for a while.

1 comment :

  1. Aww, look at you in your wonderful hat (",)

    ReplyDelete